SharePoint 2010 was released in April 2010 and was Microsoft’s 3rd incarnation of SharePoint. SharePoint 2010 is now a highly popular server product aligned to the Microsoft Office family.
In this post I am going to give a brief overview that could form as a reminder of cribsheet.
What is SharePoint 2010?
- It’s a Web Portal Platform
- Can aggregate information from different sources, through technologies like Web Parts and Business Connectivity Services.
- It’s a development platform
Used by future applications
- It’s a Collaboration Tool
- Allows people to Collaborate around business artefacts
- It’s a Document Management Tool
- With effective storage, versioning and search capabilities
- It’s a social Tool
- Offers Activitiy feeds, colleagues browsers, notes and tags with Mysites.
- It’s the dream of the email administrator
- No more emails attachments
- It’s a Martini enabler
- Anywhere, Anytime (as long as you have Internet)
- It’s a Business Tool. Not an IT tool.
How well has SharePoint 2010 sold?
- SharePoint 2010 has sold in excess of 125 million licences
- SharePoint 2010 has over 65,000 customers worldwide
- SharePoint 2010 is used in 80% of Fortune 500 companies.
What versions of SharePoint 2010 are there?
SharePoint 2010 is available in 3 versions as follows :
- SharePoint 2010 Foundation
- SharePoint 2010 Server Standard edition
- SharePoint 2010 Server Enterprise edition
All version build upon the previous version. For example, SharePoint 2010 Server is built entirely ontop of SharePoint 2010 Foundation.
In addition to this, Microsoft also has a very successful cloud version called Office 365 which is also entirely based on SharePoint 2010.
What are the components of SharePoint 2010?
SharePoint 2010 is comprised of several smaller products (also know as capabilities). These are as follows: